Friday 1 May 2015

Gifts for Mum

Hello Sassy Friends and happy 1st of May!

Brrrr, I must be getting a touch softer, as I am certainly feeling the cold snap we are having up here in Brisbane. I'm missing the balmy evenings already!

The juicy new Citrus Bliss collection from Pink Paislee is making me miss Summer even more. Luckily, I can get a dose of sunshine with every sip and you can too, as I show you how to make some gorgeous coasters you can whip up for a gift (Mother's Day is just a few days away!) or keep for yourself ;)

It all started when I opened my pack of Citrus Bliss Instagram Cards. The shape, the size and the some of the fun drink-inspired sentiments were just shouting out to be made into something for the table.

It just so happened that I found a near perfect size pack of coasters/pot holders from my local discount store for about $3! I used my WRMK Corner Chomper to round the edges.


Next, I adhered my Instagram cards to pieces of lightweight chipboard, cut down to roughly the same size. Make sure your adhesive (I used Helmar 450 Quick Dry) is as close to the edges as possible so it seals up nicely. Trim off the excess chipboard.


I have used an acrylic card layered on top of a paper card for two of the coasters. Acrylic can be a tricky thing to stick down as the adhesive usually shows. I recently discovered some fabulous Adhesive Transfer Sheets from Scrapbook Adhesives - which we will hopefully be stocking very soon!

They are awesome, you simply peel back the protective backing paper, lay your item on top of the adhesive, give it a good rub and then peel your item off slowly. It gives an even coat of adhesive all over, so you don't have any glue showing through, which is fantastic for clear items!

Above: The acrylic card shown on the adhesive transfer sheet. I simply peeled it off and then adhered it my cardstock card.

Here is a demo video from my Instagram feed @chantallemcdaniel


Once I had prepared my cards onto chipboard, I went ahead and adhered them to the base cork layers. The size of the cork was slightly larger than the paper, so I trimmed off the excess with a sharp craft knife and then rounded the edges with a sanding block. The sanding really made a difference to the finish, as it smoothed the edges beautifully.


 Lastly, I covered the top of the coasters with a layer of clear contact. Make sure to smooth out any air bubbles. This gives them a water resistant finish.


Have fun mixing different cards to create custom layers!


Make Mum's day by serving her a tasty glass of yummy fruit infused water 


or if you want to spice it up a bit...

 
Cheers!

Chantalle

 
 Citrus Bliss Instagram Cards 4"X4" 24/Pkg


2 comments:

09 10